Magnetic Resonance Imaging( MRI), scan uses magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed view of the body from inside ( organs, tissues, bones).
MRI scan is mostly used to diagnose issues of brains and spinal cord. Major issues being
- Injuries in the spinal cord
- Ailments of the eyes and ears
- Multiple sclerosis
In certain cases, the doctors recommend MRI scan, when CT scan is not able to provide the desired information.
In certain types of cancer such as the bladder and the cervical - especially in the early stage MRI scan is better then CT scan. MRI scan provides high resolution images of the tumor, enabling the doctors to know about the size of the tumor and how deep it has grown into the tissues.
MRI scan can be exceptionally useful in showing whether the tissue(s) left after the treatment is over are cancerous or not.
- Patients having any type of metallic or electronics implants (Pacemaker,Metal clips, Artificial heart valve, joint prostheses etc) in the body should inform the doctor before hand as it can can be dangerous and also effect the MRI.
- Pregnant women should discuss with the doctor before going for the scan.
- Patients with liver and kidney ailments
MRI machine is a long tube but with both the ends open. Its painless process but since the machine makes loud noises, therefore it is advised to wear ear plugs while taking the scan.
Usually lasts up to an hour, sometimes may be more.
Radiologist are specialized doctors who can interpret these images from the scan. He will send the findings to the Doctor, who in turn will discuss these findings with the patients and family members.
I love you, Papa!